Help for Professionals
The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline is dedicated to the prevention of child abuse. Serving the United States, Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and Guam, the Hotline is staffed 24 hours daily with professional crisis counselors who utilize a database of thousands of emergency, social service, and support resources*.
The Hotline’s services are available to professionals who need help to report suspected abuse. This includes school nurses, teachers, counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, pediatric dentists, fire investigators, and members of the faith community. All calls are anonymous and toll-free.
The Childhelp Hotline counselors can:
- Discuss signs and symptoms of abuse with you.
- Help you plan a course of action.
- Prepare you for what to expect when reporting child abuse.
- Provide the number of the local reporting agency you should call. (The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline is not a reporting agency.)
- Recommend books if you would like to learn more about child abuse.
CALL 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453), then push 1 to talk to a Hotline counselor.
Click here to download a PDF with valuable information on bonding with maltreated children and compassion fatigue.