April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month
Childhelp® National Day of Hope April 4th kicks off month long awareness efforts
PHOENIX (April 1, 2007) Four children die
in the United States from child abuse; the equivalent of a Boeing 727
filled with kids, crashing each month; or a school bus full of children
crashing every 18 days.
Fortunately, for almost fifty years, Childhelp®, a leading national nonprofit, has been leading the charge against child abuse. Childhelp® is dedicated to meeting the physical, emotional, educational and spiritual needs of abused and neglected children and was instrumental in designating April as National Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month.
Established in 1999, Childhelp® National Day of Hope® is the first Wednesday of every April and seeks to mobilize mothers, fathers, business leaders and politicians across America to stop child abuse. It is a day that encourages people to observe a moment of silence and say a prayer for the four children who die every day from abuse and neglect in their own homes.
In honor and memory of those children, Childhelp® has created a four-wick candle as the symbol of the Childhelp® National Day of Hope that can be ordered online at www.childhelp.org for a $10 donation.
There are many ways to make a difference in preventing child abuse and neglect, which include:
- Learning the signs and symptoms of abuse. Report known or suspected child abuse to the local police department. If you have questions about child abuse, call the Childhelp® National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-4-A-CHILD®.
- Organizing an event to raise money for programs serving abused children.
- Encouraging a local restaurant to donate the proceeds from a specific menu item, hour or day to Childhelp.
- Helping out a stressed-out parent by offering to baby-sit, make dinner or just lend an understanding ear.
- Volunteering your time and talents by finding the nearest Childhelp® chapter, auxiliary or facility that utilizes community volunteers.
Additionally, through monetary donations and support of the following
products, Childhelp® receives 100% of the proceeds.
- philosophy carrot cake shampoo, shower gel and bubble bath can be purchased online at www.childhelp.org.
- The official 2007 Childhelp® Pillow, sponsored by Jane Seymour, who held a national contest to find the art for the pillow and is available for purchase at www.childhelp.org and in participating Great Indoors retail stores.
Founded in 1959 by Sara O’Meara and Yvonne Fedderson, Childhelp® is a leading national non-profit organization dedicated to helping victims of child abuse and neglect. Childhelp’s approach focuses on prevention, intervention and treatment. The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline, 1-800-4-A-CHILD®, operates 24-hours a day, seven days a week, and receives calls from throughout the United States, Canada, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam. Childhelp’s programs and services also include residential treatment services (villages); children’s advocacy centers; therapeutic foster care; group homes; child abuse prevention, education and training; and the National Day of Hope®, part of National Child Abuse Prevention Month every April. For more information on Childhelp, please call (480) 922-8212 or visit the Web site at www.childhelp.org.