Childhelp Children's Center of Arizona
Since 1998, the Childhelp Children’s Center of Arizona has served abused and neglected children by providing treatment, intervention and investigation services. Cheerful colors, teddy bears, toys and child-friendly paintings line the walls of the fully accredited advocacy center, enhancing each child’s sense of safety and well-being.
The goal of the center is to provide medical treatment, mental health therapy, efficient investigational resources, and victim support services to address the immediate safety and complete well-being of children referred to the center.
When Abuse Happens
Before children’s advocacy centers, child victims were forced to relive their abuse by telling their story to one official after another.
At the Childhelp Children’s Center of Arizona, a specially-trained forensic interviewer meets with each child, asking age appropriate, non-leading questions to allow abused children to share their story in a way to withstand court scrutiny, aid in the prosecution of abusers, and minimize additional trauma to the victim. As part of this process, children also may receive a specialized medical exam to gather evidence of physical and/or sexual assault.
Services provided at the center support safe placement of abused children and court preparation assistance for victims. As an outpatient clinic with licensed counselors and licensed clinical director, abused children and non-offending family members receive individual and family counseling/therapy.
The Childhelp Children’s Center of Arizona responds to the overwhelming needs of abused children with community partners: Phoenix Police Department, the Office of Child Welfare Investigations, Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Maricopa County Attorney’s Office, and the Arizona Attorney General’s Office. With a caring focus, the partnership is a high profile, high volume and highly successful example of professional integration and coordination of treatment, intervention, and investigation services.
- Each child who receives services at the Childhelp Children’s Center for the first time will receive a new toy or other gift.
- Community Training – specific training for local children’s charities and ASU School of Social Work; training provided for mandated reporters regarding legal responsibilities.
- Staff recently assisted with the revision of Maricopa County’s Joint Investigation Protocol.
The Program at a Glance
- The Childhelp Children’s Center of Arizona is a “one-stop” advocacy center that supports the multidisciplinary response to child maltreatment cases.
- Childhelp received a five year reaccreditation from the National Children’s Alliance in 2008, meeting all standards for child advocacy centers nationally.
- All aspects of the facility reflect attention-to-detail, providing a child-friendly environment and atmosphere. A large glass walled playroom, fully equipped with toys and computer games, is available for children and their siblings to use. Trained volunteers supervise the children in the playroom.
- The center was showcased in the U.S. Department of Justice’s 1999 video of “best practice” facilities serving victims of crime. As a “best practice” agency, it continues to serve as a model for advocacy centers nationwide.
Program Statistics, Fiscal Year 2013
- 173 Crisis intervention services
- 6,003 Specialized mental health therapy sessions
- 282 Referral services
- 398 Victim advocate support services
- 41 Other assistance
- 6,897 Total services provided
- Maureen Basenberg, MPA, Program Director
- Kristi Murphy, LCSW, Clinical Director
- Additional Staff
(Childhelp staff only)
- 1 Family/Victim Advocates
- 2 Forensic Interviewers
- 11 Therapists*
* Two therapists under the auspices of the Childhelp Children’s Center of Arizona provide services at the Southwest Valley Advocacy Center in Goodyear
Childhelp Children's Center Wish List
These are just a few suggestions of the toys that the center needs. We do accept items that are not on this list, please check with the center before sending. We do not accept toy guns of any kind. Donations can be dropped off during business hours Monday-Friday, 8am to 5pm at the Childhelp Children’s Center located at 2120 N. Central Ave. Suite 130 Phoenix, AZ 85004.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Childhelp. There are countless ways for you to use your passion and talents to help children in your community and nation-wide. Our mission is possible only with the dedication of helping hands across the country. Compassionate individuals just like you are essential to our commitment to bring hope, strength and joy into the lives of children suffering from neglect and abuse.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer please fill out the form below and a representative will contact you soon. What you do today will offer a child in crisis a brighter future tomorrow.