SAFE – Care and Nurturing
Currently, there are more than 100,000 children in California’s foster care system who need to be placed in safe and secure homes while receiving the care and nurturing they currently do not experience in their home environments.
For over 30 years, Childhelp’s Foster Care Programs of California have connected loving families with children by actively recruiting, approving and training foster families across Southern California, including the greater Los Angeles area. From its offices in Los Angeles and San Bernardino, critical services can be offered and provided to children most in need.
Each foster child has access to a well-qualified clinical coordinator who provides weekly case management and individual or family counseling. Crisis intervention services are also provided for the child’s stay with a foster family. A child’s medical, dental, developmental, and educational needs are monitored on a regular basis.
Once a child is placed in a home, Childhelp is committed to providing assistance and program referrals to the entire family.
What does it take to be a Resource Parent?
- Ability to provide a secure and nurturing home.
- Be part of partnership between the child’s social worker, therapist, teachers and physicians.
- Completion of 30–38 hours of training.
- Commitment, understanding, patience, and the willingness to accept and provide guidance to children with diverse backgrounds and challenges.
- Provide consistent, fair, and age appropriate guidance for children.
- Potential resource/adoptive parents are screened through a series of interviews, background checks, training, and home interviews.
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Be married or single.
- Be a resident of the State of California.
- Be employed or have a source of viable income.
- Have space in your home for a child.
- Have a working automobile and auto insurance, as well as home owners or renter’s insurance.
The emotions of overhearing him casually and securely refer to you as ‘My Mom and Dad’ to a friend, long before he does to your face. And when he does finally let it slip to you, to watch the shy smile of hope come over his face, knowing he is accepted and okay here.~ (Foster Care Parent)
What will the Childhelp Foster Care Agency Provide?
- Free foster parent training to become a certified foster home
- Ongoing training after certification
- Individual counseling for each foster child
- 24-hour on-call emergency support services
- Respite care to give you a break when you need one.
- Financial monthly stipend for each foster child’s living expenses
- Monthly recreational activities for the children and families.
- One-time financial bonus for newly certified families
- Financial incentive for referring new families to foster.
- Group counseling for foster youth and family counseling for foster families.
- Transportation assistance is offered when available to take the foster children to court appointments, visitations with guardians, siblings, etc.
- Monthly foster parent support groups/training.
“Home is not where you live, but where they understand you.”~ (Foster Child)
- Childhelp provides counseling for children placed in foster care to assist children with living away from their guardians.
- For each year of foster care service, Childhelp provides and pays foster care families with an increasing amount of days of paid respite care. This allows resource parents to obtain childcare for up to five days of planned (e.g., vacation) or unplanned (e.g., family emergency) time for each foster child under their care without the financial burden.
- We are proud to be of the approved sites for a rotation of interns and residents from a local teaching hospital and universities including Loma Linda University, University of Southern California, and other schools.
- Childhelp is able to serve children in the greater Los Angeles area and various California counties including, but not limited to, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Imperial County and Orange County.
Address and Driving Directions
1625 W Olympic Blvd, Ste 601
Los Angeles, CA 90015
1955 S. Hunts Lane, Ste. 200
San Bernardino, California, 92408