Childhelp’s California Short Term Residential Therapeutic Program, (formerly known as Group Homes) seek to heal children in California’s child welfare system by providing comprehensive treatment in stable, nurturing, safe environments. Since 1996, Childhelp Short Term Residential Therapeutic Programs have served residents with counseling, therapy, support and structure for children they serve.
- Childhelp operates three cottages in residential neighborhoods of Costa Mesa, California.
- The Baker Home provides care and services for up to six girls ages 9-16 years old.
- The Joann Home provides care for up to six boys ages 9-16 years old.
- The Johnson Home provides long-term and short-term placements to girls ages 12-18 years old. It is also for children who need short-term stabilization before being transferred to the Baker Home or Joann Home.
Like A Family
California STRTPs (Short Term Residential Therapeutic Programs) provide an intensive level of supervision and therapeutic services to prepare children for a lower level of care such as foster homes, adoptive homes or reunification with families/guardians. The family-like setting helps residents successfully complete their transition into a more optimal long-term living situation.
It’s Who We Are
Upon admission, each child is assessed for an Individualized Treatment Plan, also known as a Needs and Services Plan. All direct care staff are educated on the child’s treatment plan to ensure residents receive the most appropriate clinical services and interventions. Comprehensive treatment includes psychological, educational, clinical and recreational therapies.
The Childhelp staff cultivates trust and self-worth in every child. Therapists facilitate a weekly social skills building group, focusing on developing skills in manners, sharing, cooperation and making friends. Therapists identify children who may benefit from participation in smaller groups to address more specific issues like anger management, sexual victimization and developmental deficits.
- Recreation Program
- Behavior Modification Program
- Educational Tutoring and Support
- Special Friends Program
- Extended Foster Care (AB12) Services at Johnson Home
- Program clinicians are supervised by the clinical director from the facility in Beaumont, California. Medication support is monitored by the Beaumont nurse and psychiatrist.
- STRTP Special Friends Program provides opportunities for long-term matches and the possibility of lifelong relationships with caring volunteers.
- To enrich residents’ stays the residential programs engage available community resources like recreational facilities, community events, community parks, community swimming pools, and celebrations.
- The daily living skills program includes paid vocational opportunities.
- Lawren Ramos, Program Director
- Mark Jones, Program Manager
- Victoria Olagunju, Director, Human Resources Business Partner
- Additional Staff
- 29 Child Care Workers
- 2 Clinical Coordinator/ Therapist
- 3 STRTP Supervisors
- 32 Children Served (Under Age 18)
- 11,616 Service Units Provided (Therapy Sessions, Recreation Program, and Tutoring)
- 18 Residential Capacity
- 95% Average Daily Occupancy
Contact A Location
For General Questions and Inquiries, please fill out the contact form below.